In May 2013, Rentech acquired Fulghum Fibres, Inc., which is one of the largest independent processors of wood fibre in the United States. The company maintains a solid reputation as a producer of high quality wood chips and other services to a diversified customer base in the packaging, pulp and paper industries in the U.S., South America and Asia.
Fulghum Fibres processes approximately 15 million tonnes of wood and bark annually into wood chips and residual fuels at its 29 wood chipping mills located in the U.S. and South America. From its five South American facilities, Fulghum Fibres provides chipping services and exports custom wood chips to customers who are principally in Japan. Fulghum Fibres operates primarily under long-term contracts and services a portfolio of industry-leading customers, such as West Rock, International Paper and Weyerhaeuser.
Fulghum Fibres' services could include the following activities for wood chip processing:
- Obtaining of wood supply
- Receiving, storage, maintaining and managing log storage facilities and residual chip and fibre materials
- Debarking, chipping and screening of logs to chips
- Storing and reclaiming chips
- Hogging and storage of bark
- Reclaiming and loading chips and bark onto barges, trucks, rail cars, ocean vessels or conveyor belts
- Evaluation to determine economic viability of projects relating to production, storage, and transportation of wood chips
- Management of facilities for production, storage, and transportation of wood chips
- Design and development of technological and environmental solutions related to the production, storage, and transportation of wood chips
- Consultation for the construction and operation of projects involving wood chip processing
In the U.S., the majority of Fulghum Fibres’ wood chip production is destined for products with the highest expected growth in the packaging and pulp market, such as containerboard, boxboard and tissue.
We believe there are opportunities to grow Rentech's wood chip business, including through:
- Provision of additional wood yard management services to existing customers
- Outsourcing of wood yard management service
- Co-location of wood pellet facilities
- Acquisition of additional chip processing operating permits at mills currently operated by integrated forestry companies
- Establishment of chip mills in countries with low-cost feedstocks
- Expansion of barks and residual fuel production in South America
Please contact us for your chipping needs.